J. Mendel, a five-generation French atelier has evolved into a global luxury fashion house. Continuing in the couture tradition and fur savoir-faire of his ancestors, designer Gilles Mendel is known for combining the highest quality materials and impeccable craftsmanship with a modern, award-winning design sensibility. Based in New York since the 1980s, J. Mendel’s signature luxe-femininity and effortless elegance has become a red-carpet favorite among international royalty and Hollywood stars alike.
In a world where luxury seems to be going away, Neiman Marcus is one of the few companies that still does luxury right – especially with brands like J. Mendel. Blending together great sales and high-end fashion, shopping at Neiman Marcus, even if it is just online, is an experience. You’ll have access to some of the highest end designers and with J. Mendel, there is nowhere else you’ll want to shop. Even better, you’ll find something for everyone – from a teenager to your mom to a newborn baby. They have one of the widest selections on the internet for J. Mendel and other well-known names. Of course, you can also expect some surprises.
Most importantly, Neiman Marcus sometimes gets exclusives from J. Mendel where you can’t find the item anywhere but either in a Neiman Marcus or online. You have to be quick, however.
The Hottest Deals for J. Mendel
Yes, that's right, we searched all over the web and found the hottest deals for J. Mendel
Even though math was never our strong suit, there was a certain pleasure in the undeniable formulas. You knew that if you added X plus Y and divided by Z, you would have the answer. If only picking out clothes from our closet could be as cut-and-dry. If there was a simple formula for looking good…something that would undeniably work…it would make life a lot easier, right? Well, we just so happen to have 5 tricks to illicit a positive reaction from people (men), as scientifically proven by studies.
- Wear heels – Aside from the fact that you (scientifically) have a better chance of being approached by a man if you’re wearing heels, heels also accomplish a few other pretty neat tricks. Because of the arch, heels force you to stand straighter, so you appear taller. And heels that blend in with the color of your leg, or those with a very low vamp (the part of the shoe that cuts across your foot at the front), make your legs appear longer and leaner.
- Go sleeveless – Studies have shown that arms are one of the parts of a woman’s body that men are most attracted to. In fact, in many studies, arms are more highly rated than legs! So, if you happen to be blessed with nice toned arms and shoulders…show them off!
- Think bodycon – There are loads of studies that show men are more attracted to an hourglass figure. Lucky for all of us, that’s what shapewear was invented for! Bodycon dresses are designed to naturally highlight the smallest part of you, the area just under your bust at your waist. And many bodycon dresses have slimming patterns that accentuate the effect even more. When you pair some fabulous shapewear with a great bodycon dress, you get WOW!
- Rock some red – Red attracts attention…period. It also symbolizes power, passion, and romance. So of course there will be studies that show men are attracted to red. But another bonus here is that there is a perfect shade of red out there for everyone!
- All hail the LBD – It’s iconic for good reason. And now, studies show that 5 out of 5 men will look twice at a woman in a black dress. It’s the perfect compromise if you don’t feel like wearing a bright, bold red… but you don’t necessarily feel like blending into the wallpaper either. The little black dress is classic, slimming, and oh-so-chic. It will never lead you wrong.
Ah, the crisp, cool air…the changing leaves… the pumpkin spice EVERYTHING! Winter is on its way, and you have just enough time to start adding some pivotal pieces to your wardrobe that keep you not only warm, but looking fabulous! By incorporating just one or two of these, you can breathe new life into your existing wardrobe and create some WOW this Winter.
- High-heel booties – You’ve seen them everywhere lately, and with good reason. Whether platform, peep-toe, or lace-up, these booties pair well with so many wardrobe staples: skinny jeans, cropped boyfriend jeans, pencil skirts, circle skirts with tights…the list goes on and on.
- Low, chunky-heel booties – These are an absolute must if you intend to rock the leggings-and-oversized-sweater look (and let’s face it…who doesn’t?) this Winter. They can add a bit of “edgy” to any outfit, and even look fab with tights and a flowy circle skirt (try to keep the shirt/sweater more tailored and form-fitting though, to avoid looking sloppy).
- Leather-look circle skirt – No need to break the bank on this one… you can find circle skirts that look amazingly like leather, for a fraction of the price. Just make sure the fit isn’t too tight at the waist. A properly-fitting circle skirt should fall gracefully from your waist; one that is too tight will balloon out and can look completely unflattering. It’s best to pair it with a more tailored top/sweater (a nice contrast to the leather would be a lighter, more lady-like top). Complete the look with tights and either chunky, low-heel booties or taller low-heel boots and your adorableness will be unstoppable.
- Quilted biker jacket – Again, if you don’t have a Kardashian budget, no worries! There are plenty of leather-look options out there. The important elements will be the quilting and the “biker look” (some studding, zippers, “moto” padding, etc.). These jackets can work with almost any outfit, from plaid shirts and skinny jeans to girly dresses and tights. You decide how much “edge” to the outfit with the boots and accessories you add.
- Camel coat – A classic in any era, you just need a camel-colored coat in your life. Period. Whether it’s this season, or next year, or the year after, a mid-length or long-length camel overcoat is perfection. Usually found in wool, and either belted or buttoned (or both), this will literally go with just about everything. Dress it up, dress it down, the camel coat will never disappoint.
- Puffer jacket – If you want the ultimate in form and function, go for the puffer jacket this Winter. Usually filled with down or a down-alternative, you will be sure to stay toasty warm. Pair it with skinny jeans and a fitted top, or an oversized sweater and tights, the puffer jacket is one of those items you’ll be seeing everywhere (and hopefully your closet).
- Drape-front jacket – The perfect blend of tailored structure and flowy softness, the drape front jacket is fantastic. One of the biggest trends we’re seeing this season is the shearling (or faux shearling) drape front. Since the jacket is a bit loose (usually doesn’t have a front closure to nip in the look of the waist), it’s best to pair it with more tailored pieces.
- Aztec print anything – The trend we loved in Summer has stuck around for Winter this year, and we couldn’t be happier. You can find Aztec prints in leggings and tops, but the one we love most is the oversized cardigan! Perfect for lazy Winter days, running errands, or keeping cozy on movie nights out, you can’t go wrong pairing it with tights, a semi-fitted top, chunky scarf, and knee-high low-heel boots. What a fab look!
The first false lashes actually hit the silver screen in 1916, when legendary movie director, D.W. Griffith, gave a wig maker the directive to create lashes so long they would touch a starlet’s cheeks when she fluttered them or looked down. Human hair was carefully weaved through gauze and then stuck to the lid with a type of cosmetics gum.
We’ve certainly come a long way since then! Falsies are more popular than ever, put to daily use in the routines of many makeup mavens. But, thanks to the huge number of lash brands, styles, and types on the market, finding the best lashes can be challenging, even for the most practiced among us. If you manage to get your selection right, not only will the lashes look fabulous, but they should hold up through multiple wears (with the proper care). So, just to make your work easier, we’ve taken a closer look at some of the most popular brands in every price range.
Ardell – Ardell false eyelashes are readily available online and in most drugstores. The company began in 1971 and has grown to one of… if not the… biggest false eyelash brand in the world.
- Types of lashes: Natural, Glamour, Accent, Individuals (some semi-permanent styles), and Rhinestone (more exotic and daring styles, colors, accented with small rhinestones ).
- Real or synthetic? According to the Ardell site, “The majority of Ardell strip lashes are made from 100% sterilized human hair. Some strip lashes may be made with synthetic fiber similar to human hair due to intricacy of particular style and addition of rhinestones.”
- Lash glue or special directions? Some lashes may have a small vial of false eyelash glue Online they offer both clear (Lashgrip Strip Adhesive) and black glue (Lashtite Adhesive). While Ardell does offer Lashfree Remover, no special eyelash glue remover is necessary.
- Price point: $3 – $6
- Overall selection: Huge. Literally. You could wear a different lash almost every day of the year.
- Overall reviews: By far, some of the best false eyelashes you can find in a low price-point. Reviews were overwhelmingly positive everywhere we looked online. Some consumers complained that when buying the lashes online, the product they received did not match the picture. Other complaints dealt with application… but in our opinion, that’s really operator error, not a problem with the lashes themselves.
Eylure – Eylure lashes, also, are readily available both online and in your local drugstore. Founded by David and Eric Aylott, Eylure has been a trailblazer in false lashes since the 1940s. In the beginning, their products were mainly used on stage and screen, by the 1960s, the Eylure lashes hit the mainstream.
- Types of lashes: Natural, Lengthening, Texture, Volume, Definition, Exaggerate, Dramatic, Party, and Brown lashes.
- Real or synthetic? After a long, frustrating search online, we’ve decided that unless the product specifies “100% human hair,” that they are most likely a good quality synthetic.
- Lash glue or special directions? Some packages my include a small vial of eyelash glue, but they also have eyelash adhesive made especially for their strip lashes (Lashfix), clear and black eyelash glue (Superfix)… but any eyelash glue should work. Eylure also offers “Lift Off” eyelash remover, though any oil-free makeup remover should work as well.
- Price point: $4 – $10
- Overall selection: Aside from a massive range of styles, colors, textures, and effects, Eylure offers some “celebrity” styles, from such notables as Katy Perry and British favorites Cheryl Cole, Kimberley Walsh, and Nicola Roberts.
- Overall reviews: The majority of reviews we found online were very positive, however, there were some consumers who found mistakes with packaging (two visibly different lashes in the same package), and some had trouble maneuvering the thicker more voluminous lash varieties (complaints that the lashes were too stiff and would not bend).
Revlon –While Revlon the company began in 1930, marketing their unique nail polish and lipstick, the Revlon false eyelashes are a more recent addition to both the brand and to the contenders of the best false eyelashes battle.
- Types of lashes: Revlon Runway, Revlon Fantasy Lengths, Revlon Beyond Natural, Individual, and Volumizing.
- Real or synthetic? All of the lashes appear to be synthetic-only.
- Lash glue or special directions? Most packages come with a small vial of their Precision Lash Adhesive, some are glue-on, and some are “self-adhesive” (the adhesive strips already in place on the band of the lashes is water-resistant and latex-free). You can also buy the Precision Lash Adhesive separately.
- Price point: $4 – $6
- Overall selection: Not a lot to choose from here. Since they can be found in some drugstores, they might work in a pinch if you couldn’t find Ardell or Eylure. We are hopeful that they will offer more selection as time goes on and/or demand rises.
- Overall reviews: Again, since they are relatively new to the false eyelash market, there aren’t that many reviews to compare… but the ones we did find were very positive.
Dolly Wink – Launched by Japanese one-time teen model/pop star Tsubasa Masuwaka, Dolly Wink eyelashes were once only known to false lash insiders and fashion-conscious women of Europe and Asia. Thanks to the internet, though, Dolly Wink has gone world-wide, becoming a cult favorite as one of the best false eyelashes available.
- Types of lashes: With names like “Dolly Sweet,” “Sweet Girly,” “Natural Girly,” and “Sweet Cat,” Dolly Wink doesn’t really have types of lashes as much as they have different styles of one main type. There are approximately 20 different lashes, all either full strips or demi lashes, and all very natural looking, delicately spaced, layered, and of graduated lengths. They are strategically longer both horizontally and vertically, creating the appearance of longer, larger, doll-like eyes. Dolly Wink also sells natural-looking bottom lashes.
- Real or synthetic? While there are eyelash extensions branded as “Dolly Wink” available to salons, the eyelashes you can buy online (Amazon, Ebay, etc.) are made from synthetic hair.
- Lash glue or special directions? Thankfully, no special protocol here. Apply with regular eyelash glue, and remove either with lash remover or oil-free makeup remover.
- Price point: $17 – $30
- Overall selection: While what they do have is lovely, the overall selection is not broad in terms of either styles or types of lashes available.
- Overall reviews: We honestly could not find a blatantly negative review of the Dolly Wink products. Any slightly-lower-than-top-star ratings were mainly from consumers not practiced in false eyelash application.
And the winner is… For a wallet-friendly, readily-available, good-quality variety, our bet is with Ardell. We like that they use real hair in the majority of the lashes, and the price-point says that experimentation with different looks is definitely doable. Huge selection and availability also! They truly are the best false eyelashes for the buck!